Thursday, March 12, 2009

Healing Humor Distractions

Laughter is the best medicine, but only because it’s cheaper than an HMO.
Buzz Nutely

I take geranium, dandelion, passionflower and hibiscus. I feel great and when I pee, I experience the fresh scent of potpourri.
Sheila Wenz

Frame your mind to mirth and merriment, which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life.
William Shakespeare


When you are a nurse… you are “everybody’s’ nurse. You’re the “block” nurse, the “church nurse, and the “distant relative” nurse.

I went with Darrell’s cousin Sharon, to have a relatively minor procedure. She is one of the most actively supportive people I’ve ever met .If you are infirm, ailing, lonely, need a ride or need head covering for ‘The Red Hat Society, Sharon can either do it, or has it. She will lead you through a process, advocate for you, hold your hand or teach you how to make a new purse. I really admire her for that.

On the other hand, if she cuts her finger or stubs her toe, she will tell you that she has to go to the emergency room…and then she faints.

Knowing the above information,I held her hand during her 2 minute procedure. I purposely wore hand made earrings (by my daughter) so that I could distract her. I kept her visually focused and verbally engaged for 120 seconds. I also made sure she had a topical anesthetic. Her doctor complimented me, “You are a great distracter.”

Humor in the right dosage is the perfect antidote for fear. It engages the brain and distracts from the anxiety of the moment.

Humor appropriately placed and timed, leads the mind away from unpleasantness and creates a space for courage to take root.

Humor in nursing is a lot like gardening in wild prairie. I plant a few seeds of silliness and I never know what will sprout up. Sometimes my tears are the water and my sarcasm is the fertilizer. Words like, “we need to be serious” or people that seem to be afraid to laugh and condemn those that do, trample the tender seedlings of hope and faith that grow from humor.

Plant Blessings of Humor, Laughter, Mirth and Joy,
Debra Joy Hart RN CLL
Age Wise Care Management
debrajoyhart@gmail.com

No comments: